The secret to a successful trip is plenty of advance planning - and then knowing how to get around once you arrive.
Here is all the essential Paris information you need to decide when to visit, what to pack, what to do before you come, and how to get from the airport to the city.
You'll also find plenty of tips about finding your way around the city, including where to get the best maps, recommendations for useful guidebooks, and getting around on the famous Paris Metro (as well as how to see the city on wheels, by water, and on foot).
Plus, be sure to check out the information about French money, tipping, and even 10 easy-to-learn French words and phrases essential to having a great experience.
Top photo: Notre Dame at the left and Ile Saint-Louis on the right
Start Planning Your Visit: Do These Things First
Decide When to Come
Plan Your Trip
What to Do & See in Paris
- Why visit Paris? - All the reasons why you're planning a trip to Paris!
- 10 Top Paris Attractions: Planning what to do and see in Paris? Start here
- Best Paris skyline views: Where to see and photograph iconic Paris scenes
- Best Paris guide books - Paris Discovery Guide's recommendations
- What to do on your first day in Paris - How to make the most of your first day while fighting jet lag
More Planning Tools for You to Use
- Do you need travel insurance for your Paris trip? Which insurance plans are best?
- Plan your trip in 10 easy steps - Use our free Paris Vacation Planning Guide
- What is the best Paris map? - Hint: It's cheap, easy to get, and will tell you everything you need to know
Before You Leave Home: More to Know
Once You Arrive in Paris: What You Need to Know
Transportation & Money Essentials
You're Here! Now What?
Fun Ways to See Top Paris Attractions
Getting Around in Paris
Getting around on the Paris Metro
How to use the Paris subway system - how to get tickets (and what type to get), maps, & more
Find out more
Other Essential Information for Your Trip to Paris
- What to expect at your Paris hotels - From check-in time to room size to where to eat breakfast, our essential tips about Paris hotels have you covered
- Skip-the-Line tickets - How to see the top Paris attractions without wasting time standing in line
- What to do if you get sick in Paris - Help could be as close as the nearest corner
- Scams that all tourists should avoid - Don't let these common cons flatten your wallet
- Weather in Paris - What to expect month by month
- Interesting facts about Paris - Fun things to know before you go
- Paris History 101 - Quick overview of everything you need to know about 2,300 years of Paris history
Related Articles about Planning Your Trip to Paris
- Top Paris Events - The year at a glance
- Easy Day Trips from Paris - How to visit Versailles, Giverny, Mont Saint Michel, D-Day Normandy Beaches, Disneyland, London, Bruges, & more places in just one day
- Eiffel Tower Tickets - How to get tickets to the Eiffel Tower - without waiting in long lines!
- Paris Beaches - Where to find them, and fun activities and things to do
- Paris Discount Shopping - Find out about the Paris discount designer outlet mall
- Bargain Paris Hotels - Great places to stay without flattening your wallet