Paris events in December focus on the holidays as lavish Christmas and New Year's decorations transform the city into a real City of Light.
Paris in December brings festive Christmas Markets overflowing with unique gifts and regional specialties, sparkling lights and decorations throughout the city's neighborhoods, and plenty of good cheer.
Sip a cup of vin chaud - hot mulled wine - as you do your holiday shopping, gaze at the magical holiday windows at the famous Paris department stores, and relax at special Christmas concerts in the city's magnificent churches.
And if you're lucky enough to be here for New Year's Eve, get ready for a spectacular celebration you'll always remember.
Top photo: Holiday lights along Champs Elysées leading up to the Arc de Triomphe
Paris Discovery Guide is a user-supported publication. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Learn more
December Concerts in Paris 2023
Christmas concerts take center stage in Paris during December 2023, although you'll also find plenty of classical concerts in the city's most beautiful old churches as well as opera and ballet at Palais Garnier and rock, indie, jazz, pop, and "spectacles" at AccorHotels Arena, the Olympia, Palais des Congres, and other concert venues.
Don't miss candlelight concerts, New Year's Eve concerts, and the special Eiffel Tower concert on Christmas Day! Tickets for all of these concerts start to sell fast and even sell out in November - so don't wait to get yours.
Check the lineup to find classical, rock, and Christmas concerts, opera, ballet, and other music shows happening throughout December, and get your tickets now:
Attending a concert or opera during December, especially around the holidays, is a popular tradition in Paris.
Tickets to the Sainte-Chapelle Christmas and New Year's Eve concerts always sell out far in advance and we're seeing 2023 tickets being listed earlier than ever this year - so if you know you want to attend one of these wonderful concerts, don't wait to book!
Christmas & Christmas Eve Concerts in Paris - 2023
- Christmas Oratorio & Masaaki Suzuki - Champs Elysees Theatre - Dec 8
- Babar et le Pere Noel - Champs Elysees Theatre - Dec 10
- Radio Classique Christmas Concert - Champs Elysees Theatre - Dec 15, 16
- Christmas Concert - Saint-Eustache Church - Dec 21
- Christmas Concert (with optional Champagne or wine & tapas) - Sainte-Chapelle - Dec 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29
- Christmas Concert - Saint-Sulpice Church - Dec 22
- Christmas Concert - Madeleine Church - Dec 23
- Christmas Concert - Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile Church - Dec 23
- Christmas Concert - Saint Severin Church - Dec 23
- Concert at the Eiffel Tower (optional Champagne) - Dec 24, 25, 31
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons & Corelli's Christmas Concert - Saint-Germain-des-Pres Church - Dec 27
Looking for non-holiday music? Skip down to the regular December Concerts section
More Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Performances
New Year's Eve Concerts in Paris - 2023
- New Year's Concert (with optional Champagne or wine & tapas) - Sainte-Chapelle - Dec 30, 31
- New Year's Concert: Mozart's Requiem - Saint Sulpice Church - Dec 31
- Concert at the Eiffel Tower (optional Champagne) - Dec 31
- New Year's Eve Concert - Saint-Sulpice Church - Dec 31
- New Year's Eve Concert - Saint Severin Church - Dec 31
More December Concerts, Operas, & Ballets
- Ensemble Royal de Paris: Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart - Saint Julien le Pauvre Church - Dec 2, 4, 6, 9, 11, 13, 16, 18, 20, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31
- Les Violons de France: Vivaldi's Four Seasons - Madeleine Church - Dec 2, 9
- Sting - Accor Arena - Dec 3
- Les Contes d'Hoffmann: Paris National Opera - Opera Bastille - Dec 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27
- Demonstrations of the Paris Opera Dance School - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - Dec 3, 9, 16
- Candlelight Concert: Bach, Debussy, Schubert, Liszt - Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 3, 16, 31
- Lomepal - Accor Arena - Dec 4, 5, 6
- The Nutcracker: Paris National Opera - Opera Bastille - Dec 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31
- Jiri Kylian: Paris Opera Ballet - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - Dec 8, 9, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons & Famous Adagios - Saint Germain des Pres Church - Dec 9
- Franco Fagioli - Champs Elysees Theatre - Dec 9
- Bach by Candlelight - Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 9, 24, 26
- Ma Mere L'Oye, & L'Enfant et les Sortileges: Paris National Opera - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - Dec 13, 14
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons & Mozart's A Little Night Music - Saint Germain des Pres Church - Dec 15, 22
- Les Violons de France: Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Caccini, & Schubert - Saint-Germain-des-Pres Church - Dec 16, 23, 26, 30, 31
- Linda Lemay - L'Olympia - Dec 18
- M Pokora - Accor Arena - Dec 19
- Mozart's Requiem & Ravel's Bolero - Madeleine Church - Dec 26
- Beethoven's 9th Symphony - Saint-Sulpice Church - Dec 28
Enjoy the Best Christmas Markets in Paris - Opening Dates
Sparkling lights and decorations, the smell of roasting chestnuts, cups of hot wine infused with cinnamon, and Swiss-style chalets overflowing with special holiday foods, hand-crafted gifts, and decorations.... Christmas Markets, a tradition since Medieval times, pop up all over Paris starting in late November.
Paris Christmas Market Schedule - 2023
All dates to be confirmed for 2023 - and please keep in mind that opening dates are dependent on all the right permits being in place, so delays are always possible (and in fact happened last year at one of the biggest markets):
- Tuileries Christmas Market: La Magie de Noël (The Magic of Christmas) - (formerly Champs-Élysées Christmas Market) - November 18, 2023 - January 7, 2024; 1st arr
- St Germain des Prés Christmas Market - November 25 - January 1; 6th arr
- La Défense Christmas Village (along the Esplanade at the Arche de La Défense - November 27 - December 24; take the Metro Line 1 to La Defense station - about 10 minutes from Etoile/CDG)
- Eiffel Tower Christmas Village on Quai Branly - November 29 - January 1 (to be confirmed); 7th arr
- Alsatian Christmas Market at Gare de l'Est - November 29 - December 15, 10th arr
- Christmas Market at Hôtel de Ville (Paris City Hall, Rue de Rivoli, next to Hotel de Ville metro station, 4th arr) - November 30 - January 1; 4th arr
- Bastille Christmas Market at Place de las Bastille - December 2 - 26, 11th arr
- Christmas Market at the Feeries d'Anteuil (Rue Jean de la Fontaine, Paris 16) - December 2 - 10
- Notre Dame Christmas Market at Square Viviani - December 8 - 26, 10am-8pm (9pm on Friday, Saturday, Sunday); 5th arr
- Abbesses Christmas Market in Montmartre near Sacre Coeur - December 9 - 31, 18th arr
- 15th Arrondissement Christmas Market - In front of the 15th's Town Hall - December 14-31
Selected Pop-Up & Short-Term Christmas Markets
All dates to be confirmed for 2023
- Japanese Christmas Market - Espace Cinko, 12-18 Passage Choiseul, Paris 2 - 11am-7pm, November 16-18
- English Christmas - St George's Anglican Church (7 Rue Auguste Vacquerie, 16th arr) - November 25
- Christmas Markets at the Pavillon des Canaux ("Les Canaux") (39 Quai de la Loire, on Canal d'Ourcq (close to Parc de la Villette), Paris 19) - Look for themed markets on these weekends: Nov 25- 26; Dec 4-5; Dec 10-11; and Dec 16-17
- Christmas Eco-Villages on three weekends at La REcyclerie (83 Blvd Ornano, Paris 18): Nov 25-26, Dec 2-3, and Dec 9-10
- Specialty Christmas Markets on 3 Sundays with 3 themes and numerous creators in front of Le Hasard Ludique ("Playful Hazard"), the former Saint-Ouen rail station on the Petit Cienture and now a cultural venue (128 Avenue de Saint-Ouen, 18th arr; nearest Metro: Porte de St Ouen / Guy Moquet) - Ubuntu Christmas Market on Dec 2, 3; Made in the 18th Arrondisement Market on Dec 10; Big Christmas Market Market on Dec 16 - plus Christmas treats, mulled wine, specialty beers, and hot drinks all day. Free admission. More about Le Hasard Ludique: https://www.lehasardludique.
- Marché de Noel at Hotel Maison Mère (7 Rue Mayran, near Rue des Martyrs , 9th arr) - Small Christmas market featuring jewelry, decorative objects, and art by local artisans - Nov 26, starts at 11:30am - more information
- Swedish Christmas Market - The Swedish Church (9 Rue Médéric, 17th arr, Metro: Courcelles) - Swedish specialites such as glasswear, candles, cakes, lingonberry jam, chocolates, and Swedish herring and salmon - Dec 1-3, 2022
- Féeries d'Auteuil Christmas Market - Les Apprentis d'Auteuil (40 Rue Jean de la Fontaine, Paris 16) - Dec 2-10
If we find these markets this year, we'll update the following information:
- Marché de Noël de Rock My Bergamote - Young French Designers at Le Pavillion des Canaux coffeeshop/restaurant (39 Quai de la Loire), Bassin de la Villette, 19th arr - 11am-8pm, early December
- Klin d'Oeil d'Hiver Christmas Market featuring 70 designers - Carreau du Temple (4 Eugene Spuller - 3rd arr) - Early December
- Saint Laz' Christmas Market in front of the Saint-Lazare train station, 9th arr - TBD
- Marché de Noël Paris Beaubourg - Christmas Market at Pompidou Center, 4th arr - November - January - TBD
- Bir Hakeim Christmas Market (not far from the Eiffel Tower) - December 8 -January 1 - TBD
- Christmas Market at Invalides - December 10-26 - TBD
- Sacre Coeur Christmas Market in front of Sacre Coeur - Mid-Dec - TBD
Christmas Lights & Holiday Decorations
Christmas lights ("Illuminations") and decorations start to appear in Paris starting in early November and continue through early January (until just before the January sales begin).
This year, Bon Marché will again be the first to reveal their window at 5pm on Friday, October 27. (to be confirmed) The theme this year is a giant Santa's workshop with cute elves working to make enough colorful Christmas tree bulbs fo light up all the trees on Christmas Day.
Printemps Haussmann unveils their fabulous Christmas windows on November 8 at 5:30pm. American super-model Cindy Crawford and her daughter Kaia Gerber will cut the ribbons to the reveal the windows and launch the seasonal festivities. This year's theme is the circus, with trapeze artists, clowns, magicians, Christmas circus balloons, and Santa as ringmaster.
By December, you can see festive lights, decorations, and Christmas trees in all the city's key shopping districts. But don't miss the spectacular store window displays at Paris's five grand department stores!
Christmas at Disneyland Paris in December
Enchanted Christmas celebrations start at Disneyland Paris in early November and continue into January with plenty of entertainment and holiday spirit for everyone.
You'll find a spectacular giant tree, entertaining shows, festive Christmas parades, and sparkling holiday decorations everywhere, plus special events such as the nightly "magical" Christmas tree lighting. Each year brings new holiday features, lights, and shows at both Disney Parks, an immersive nighttime extravaganza, and singing carols with Santa, Mickey, and Minnie for a magical experience you won't forget. You can even expect snowflakes to fall a few times each day!
When: November 11 - January 7
Disneyland Paris and Transportation
Take the RER A to the Marne-la-Valée station across a small plaza from Disneyland Paris, and buy your tickets at the gate - or check out these options to make your trip faster and easier:
More about Paris in December
Hanukkah Celebrations & Menorah Lightings in Paris
Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, begins at sundown on December 7 this year, and lasts for eight days until sundown on December 15.
All over the City of Light, giant menorahs in public spaces (as well as normal size menorahs in private homes) will be lit in honor of the occasion, starting with just one candle on the first night plus one additional candle on each following night until all are glowing.
This year, Paris begins its public menorah lighting ceremony for Hanukkah at the Eiffel Tower at 8pm, followed by a "Hassidique" concert. (to be confirmed)
Things to Do in Paris in December
Visiting Paris in December? Here's a mix of fun indoor and outdoor activities to enjoy this month:
- Paris Christmas Lights Bus Tour - See all the fantastic holiday lights around the city from the top of a double-decker sightseeing bus. Dress warmly, and get ready for a fun city tour where you'll see the best holiday light displays in the city. Book now
- Moulin Rouge Cabaret Show with Champagne - Enjoy Champagne and fantastic performance of the Féerie show at the legendary Moulin Rouge for a quintessential Paris night on the town! Book now
- Christmas Eve and Day Dinner Cruises - Enjoy a special 5-course dinner cooked on board, live music, and magical views of illuminated famous sights and landmarks along the Seine River as you cruise by in a comfy glass-covered boat. These holiday cruises always sell out - so book early to avoid disappointment! Book now
- Paris Wine & Cheese Lunch - Love wine and cheese? In this small group experience in a beautiful tasting wine bar in a 17th century "hotel particulier" (private mansion) near the Louvre, you'll try 5 wines from different French regions and savor them with perfectly paired French cheese and charcuterie as you learn about their unique flavors and origins. Book now
Paris Exhibits - Shows to See during December
Cezanne, the Lights of Provence, and Kandinsky, the Odyssey of Abstraction at Atelier des Lumières
Immersive digital show accompanied by original music explores the works of Cezanne and Kandinsky. Both shows are sure to be fantastic - don't miss them!
Dates: Through January 2, 2023; open daily
Tickets: 16€ adults, plus reduced rates for families, youth, seniors; purchase online on the L'Atelier website; you can also purchase at the door (for 2€ more per ticket) but there's no guarantee you'll get in as timeslots are often fully booked
Getting there: 38 Rue Saint Maur, 11th arrondissement; Metro: Saint-Maur
Rosa Bonheur at Musee d'Orsay
This major retrospective of French artist Rosa Bonheur on the bicentenary of her birth takes a close look at 200 of her paintings and other works, especially in her portraits of animals.
Dates: October 18, 2022 - February 15, 2023
Musée d'Orsay Tickets: 16€ adults. Book a reserved-access ticket for skip-the-line access, save with a combo ticket to Musée de l'Orangerie and the Orsay Museum, or use your Paris Museum Pass for free entry
Location: 1 Rue de la Légion d'Honneur, Paris 7; Metro: Pont de l'Alma; Invalides
Paris Museum and Attractions Passes
Popular Paris Christmas Experiences
Get into the holiday spirit with these special "only in Paris" activities:
- Christmas Gourmet Tour of Saint-Germain-des-Pres - Enjoy a special 3-course lunch, live music, and magical views of famous sights and landmarks along the Seine River as you cruise by in a comfy glass-covered boat. These holiday cruises always sell out - so book early to avoid disappointment! Book now
- Moulin Rouge Dinner & Show - Enjoy a magical cabaret show by a troupe of 100 costumed performers paired with a delicious tradtional French dinner and Champagne. Book now
- Paris Christmas Lights Tour - Snuggle under a warm blanket as an open-top bus takes you past the city's most brilliant Christmas lights as well as other famous illuminated Paris attractions - Arc de Triomphe, Paris Opera House (Palais Garnier), Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum, and more. It's an unforgettable way to see Paris! Book now
- Private Christmas Tour of Paris with a Ferris Wheel Ride - On this special tour, you'll see the most famous Paris holiday lights and decorations plus a few "insider's gems," enjoy a glass of mulled wine (or hot chocolate), and a ride on the giant Paris ferris wheel. Includes hotel pick-up/drop-off. Book now
Handel's Messiah Sing-Along
Have you ever wanted to celebrate the holiday season by singing Handel's Messiah as part of a large group of enthusiastic singers?
You can do this on Sunday, December 10 at 3pm (to be confirmed) as the Paris Choral Society leads their annual Messiah Sing-Along of Part 1 and the famous Hallelujah Chorus at the American Cathedral (23 Avenue George V, 8th arr) - or, if you prefer, just listen. Don't know the words? No worries. You can rent or buy a copy of the score at the door. Tickets
You can also join the Paris Choral Society at the Cathedral on December 1 and December 3 for a Christmas Concert. Tickets
More Top Paris Things to Do & See in December
Festival of Lights at Paris's Jardin des Plantes
The annual winter Festival of Lights returns to the Jardin des Plantes (Botanical Garden) in Paris's 5th arrondissement, with giant illuminated statues of animals creating a magical experience during the evening. Each year, the animals represent a different phase of evolution, and this year you'll see butterflies, dragonflies, frogs, snails, spiders, and other insects as you stroll through the garden's enchanting imaginary universe filled with lights and colors.
Although the exhibition attracts almost 400,000 visitors each year, the garden never seems crowded.
You can see the creatures unilluminated during daytime hours without a ticket (in other words, for free), but the ticketed event which begins after dark is more spectacular.
Dates: November 13 - January 14, except for Dec. 24 & 31, 6pm l- 9:30pm, with last entry at 8:30pm, and until 11pm (last entry at 10) on Friday, Saturday, & school holidays (to be confirmed)
Location: Jardin des Plantes, 57 Rue Cuvier, 5th arr
Tickets for evening strolls: 15€-17€, with reduced prices for children and families; tickets must be bought online (and get yours early, as they will sell out on many nights, especially during the holidays)
Open Studios: Pere Lachaise, Menilmontant, & Belleville Neighborhoods - 2023
Numerous artists live and work in the leafy 20th arrondissement neighborhoods around Pere Lachaise Cemetery, Menilmontant, and Belleville. In 2023, the emerging and established painters, sculptors, photographers, and print-makers in these areas are banding together to hold Open Studios on four weekends throughout the year (March 25, June 3 in conjunction with Nuit Blanche), September 30, and December 9).
Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to browse original art, chat with the artists, and perhaps purchase a favorite piece! Visiting the Open Studios also gives you also a great opportunity to explore these lesser-known authentic Parisian neighborhoods as well as nearby Pere Lachaise cemetery.
More information: Artists of the APLA website (APLA = painting, sculpture, engraving, photography, and mixed media)
More about Paris in December
Festival d'Automne (Autumn Festival) Paris - 2023-2024
The Paris Autumn Festival (which extends into February) showcases the latest creations and artists (international as well as French) in contemporary dance, theater, music, cinema, and visual arts at a variety of venues around Paris, include the Grand Hall at Parc de la Villette in the 19th arrondissement, the Pinault Collection at Bourse de Commerce and Louvre in the 1st, and Pompidou Center in the 4th, just to name a few.
This is a hugely popular festival, with over 50 events (many of which extend over several or more days) at over 70 venues in and near Paris.
Most events are ticketed, and many sell out quickly, so don't wait to book, which you can do through the event's website.
2024 - Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral Reopens!
Paris's most treasured medieval monument, Notre Dame Cathedral, will reopen on December 8, 2024. (As of now - but the date is probably subject to change as we get closer to the date, as the schedule is very tight.)
Built mostly during the 12th and 13th centuries in the then-new Gothic style on Ile de la Cité, the historical "heart" of Paris, the Cathedral came close to being destroyed by a horrific fire on April 15, 2018.
Almost miraculously, most of the Cathedral's most treasured art, historical artifacts, religious relics, and magnificent stained glass windows escaped destruction (thanks, in part, to heroic rescue efforts). Also miraculously, due to the intensity of the blaze, no one died due to the fire.
Massive reconstruction and restoration efforts involving Europe's most skilled builders and artisans began as soon as the initial clean-up - not a trivial effort, due to the environment impacts and health consequences of melted lead - concluded. To the degree possible, the restored cathedral, including a mid-19th century spire added by French architect Eugene Violette-le-Duc, will look identical to the pre-fire original.
Need to Book a Paris Hotel or Apartment for Your December Visit?
Planning a trip to Paris during the holiday season? Use this hotel map to find hotels and apartments near your favorite events and Paris attractions:
More Articles about Things to Do in Paris in December
- Where are the best places to see Christmas lights in Paris?
- Christmas concerts - don't miss these special musical events!
- Which Paris department stores have the biggest & best Christmas window decorations?
- Hanukkah often overlaps the Christmas season - find out about Hanukkah celebrations in Paris
- How to score the best deals at the famous after-Christmas Paris sales in January
- Best places to stay in Paris in the winter