Paris events in December focus on the holidays as lavish Christmas and New Year's decorations transform the city into a real City of Light as days grow shorter.
Do your holiday shopping and sip hot mulled wine at the traditional Christmas Markets that pop up all over Paris, admire the lavish Christmas windows at the grand department stores, and enjoy a classical music concert in a magnificent Paris church or cathedral.
And if you're lucky enough to be here for New Year's Eve, get ready for a celebration to remember!
Sparkling lights and decorations, the smell of roasting chestnuts, cups of hot mulled wine, and Swiss-style chalets overflowing with special holiday foods, gifts, and decorations . . . Christmas Markets, a tradition since Medieval times, pop up all over Paris starting in late November.
2017 Paris Christmas Market Schedule
- Christmas Market at Notre Dame Cathedral - December 15-24
- Christmas Village at La Défense -November 23-December 31
- Les Halles Christmas Village - November 27-December 31 - New this year!
- Champs de Mars (under the Eiffel Tower) - November 20-January 8, 2018 - New this year!
- Abbesses Christmas Market - November 21-January 2, 2018
- St Germain des Près Christmas Market - December 1-January 3, 2018
- Christmas Market at Invalides - December 15-31
- Champs-Élysées Christmas Market - Cancelled for 2017; will return in 2018
Pop-Up Christmas Markets in Paris - 2017
- Swedish Christmas Market offering Swedish specialties, gifts, and artisan creations at the Paris Swedish Church (9 rue Médéric, 17th arrondissement; Metro: Courcelles) - December 1-3
- New Les Halles Christmas Village - November 27-December 31
Christmas Lights & Holiday Decorations
Christmas lights and decorations start to appear in Paris starting in mid-November and continue through early January (until just before the January sales begin).
By December, you can see festive lights, decorations, and Christmas trees in all the city's key shopping districts.
December Concerts in Paris - 2017
- Elton John at AccorHotels Arena - December 1 - Tickets
- Satie, Liszt, and Beethovan: Piano at Saint Ephrem at Saint-Ephrem Church - Dec 2, 9, 16, 23, 26, 30 - Tickets
- Depeche Mode at AccorHotels Arena - Dec 3 Tickets - Dec 5 Tickets
- Alice Cooper at L'Olympia - December 7 - Tickets
- Mariah Carey at AccorHotels Arena - December 9 - Tickets
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons at La Madeleine Church - December 9, 15, 23, 25, 28 - Tickets
- Don Quixote: Ballet de l'Opéra National de Paris at Opéra Bastille - Dec 11, 13, 15, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28, 30 - Tickets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Concert at Palais des Congrès - Dec 16 Tickets - Dec 17 Tickets
- Concert at La Sainte-Chapelle at Dec 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, 31 - Tickets
- Chopin with Candlelight at Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 25, 31 - Tickets
Paris Exhibits - Shows to See during December
70 Years of Dior
@ Musée des Arts Décoratifs, through January 17, 2018 - See a fabulous selection of Dior's best creations to celebrate the famed fashion house's 70th birthday. Open Tuesday - Sunday; 11am-6pm and until 9pm on Thursdays (temporary exhibitions only - but see their website for special hours for this exhibit). General admission 13€; includes this exhibit
Location:107 rue de Rivoli, Rohan and Marsan wings of the Louvre, 1er.
Nearest Métro: Tuileries or Palais Royal Musée du Louvre
Dine nearby: Loulou (adjacent to the museum)
Stay nearby: Hotels near the Louvre
More info: www.lesartsdecoratifs.fr
Pop Art - Icons that Matter
@ Musée Maillol, September 22 - January 21, 2018 - Over 200 pieces of art by Gauguin immerse you in the artist's creative process in this show focusing on how he pushed the limits of his time. Open Sunday, Monday, Thursday 10am-8pm; Wednesday, Friday Saturday 10am-10pm; Tickets 15€.
Location: Grand Palais, Avenue Winston-Churchill, 8e. Nearest Metro: Champs-Élysées-Clemenceau
More info: www.museemaillol.com
The Art of Pastel from Degas to Redon
@ Petit Palais, through April 8, 2018 - More than 60 works by Pop Art artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Jim Dine, Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg from the Whitney Museum in NYC will be shown for the first time in Paris. Admission (ncludes the show) 13€.
Location: 61, rue de Grenelle, 7e. Nearest Metro: Rue du Bac
More info: www.petitpalais.paris.fr
@ Musée Marmottan Monet (Rue Saint-Martin, 4e), September 14 through January 14, 2018 - On display for the first time will be works from Monet's own private collection by Cezanne, Morisot, Rodin, Renoir, Delacrois, and other important artists. Open Wednesday - Monday; 10am-6pm and until 9pm on Thursdays. General admission 11€; includes this exhibit
Location: 2 rue Louis Boilly, 16e. Nearest Metro: La Muette.
More info: www.marmottan.fr
Christmas at Disneyland Paris in December, 2017
Christmas celebrations begin at Disneyland Paris with plenty of entertainment and fun for everyone.
You'll find a spectacular giant tree, entertaining shows, festive Christmas parades, and holiday decorations everywhere. Don't miss two brand-new holiday shows at Walt Disney Studios® Park, a new immersive nighttime extravaganza, and singing carols with Santa, Mickey, and Minnie for a magical experience you won't forget!
When: Through January 7, 2018
Disneyland Paris and Transportation
Take RER A to the Marne-la-Valee station across a small plaza from Disneyland Paris, and buy your tickets at the gate - or check out these options to make your trip faster and easier: