Paris events in December focus on the holidays as lavish Christmas and New Year's decorations transform the city into a real City of Light.
Paris in December brings festive Christmas Markets overflowing with unique gifts and regional specialties, sparkling lights and decorations throughout the city's neighborhoods, and plenty of good cheer.
Sip a cup of vin chaud - hot mulled wine - as you do your holiday shopping, gaze at the magical holiday windows at the famous Paris department stores, and relax at special Christmas concerts in the city's magnificent churches.
And if you're lucky enough to be here for New Year's Eve, get ready for a spectacular celebration you'll always remember.
Top photo: Holiday lights along Champs Elysées leading up to the Arc de Triomphe
Enjoy the Best Christmas Markets in Paris - 2021 Opening Dates
Sparkling lights and decorations, the smell of roasting chestnuts, cups of hot wine infused with cinnamon, and Swiss-style chalets overflowing with special holiday foods, hand-crafted gifts, and decorations.... Christmas Markets, a tradition since Medieval times, pop up all over Paris starting in late November.
Paris Christmas Market Schedule - 2021-2022
Opening dates in 2021 for Paris Christmas markets are starting to be announced! You will see confirmed dates below.
- The Magic of Christmas - Tuileries Christmas Market - Magie de Noël - (formerly Champs-Élysées Christmas Market) - November 20, 2021 - January 2, 2022 - Confirmed
- Christmas Village at La Défense Esplanade - November 25 - December 29 - Confirmed
- Notre Dame Christmas Market at Square Viviani - December 10-26, 10am-8pm (9pm on Friday, Saturday, Sunday) - Confirmed
- Christmas Market at Hôtel de Ville (Paris City Hall, Rue de Rivoli, next to Hotel de Ville metro station, 4th arr) - December 10- January 2 - TBD
- St Germain des Prés Christmas Market - December 11, 2021 - January 2, 2022 - TBD
- Canopée des Halles Christmas Village - November 11-December 28 - TBD
- Christmas Market at the Feeries d'Anteuil - November 27-December 7 - TBD
- Gare de l'Est Traditional Alsace Christmas Market - December 1-17 - TBD
- Saint Laz' Christmas Market in front of the Saint-Lazare train station, 9th arr - TBD
- Marché de Noël Paris Beaubourg - Christmas Market at Pompidou Center, 4th arr - November - January - TBD
- 15th Arrondissement Christmas Market - December 10-19 - TBD
- Bir Hakeim Christmas Market (not far from the Eiffel Tower) - December 10 -January 2 - TBD
- Christmas Market at Invalides - December 12-28 - TBD
- Abbesses Christmas Market - November 27-December 30 - TBD
- Sacre Coeur Christmas Market in front of Sacre Coeur - Dec 9-22 - TBD
- Montmartre Christmas Market behind Sacre Coeur - TBD
Selected Pop-Up & Short-Term Christmas Markets
All of these dates are still to be confirmed. Dates shown are approximate.
- Japanese Christmas Market - Maison Wa (Rue Villedo, 8 bis, 1st arr) - 11am-7pm, November 28-December 19 (closed on Mondays)
- English Christmas - St George's Anglican Church (7 Rue Auguste Vacquerie, 16th arr) - December - January - TBD
- Nordic Christmas Market - La REcyclerie (83 Boulevard Ornano, 18th arr) - Dec 10 (to be confirmed)
- Swedish Christmas Market - The Swedish Church (9 Rue Médéric, 17th arr, Metro: Courcelles) - Nov 26-28
- Marché de Noël de Rock My Bergamote - Young French Designers at Le Pavillion des Canaux coffeeshop/restaurant (39 Quai de la Loire), Bassin de la Villette, 19th arr - 11am-8pm, December 4
- Specialty Christmas Markets on 3 Sundays with 3 themes and 30 creators in front of Le Hasard Ludique ("Playful Hazard"), the former Saint-Ouen rail station on the Petit Cienture and now a cultural venue (128 Avenue de Saint-Ouen, 18th arr; nearest Metro: Porte de St Ouen / Guy Moquet) - African-Style Christmas Market on Dec 7, Made in the 18th Arrondisement Market on Dec 15, Merci Bernard's Vegan Christmas Market on Dec 24 plus Christmas treats, mulled wine, specialty beers, and hot drinks all day. Free admission. More about Le Hasard Ludique: https://www.lehasardludique.paris
- Klin d'Oeil d'Hiver Christmas Market featuring 70 designers - Carreau du Temple (4 Eugene Spuller - 3rd arr) - December 4-5
Christmas Lights & Holiday Decorations
Christmas lights and decorations start to appear in Paris starting in mid-November and continue through early January (until just before the January sales begin).
By December, you can see festive lights, decorations, and Christmas trees in all the city's key shopping districts. Don't miss the spectacular store window displays at Paris's four grand department stores!
December Concerts in Paris
Christmas concerts take center stage in Paris during December 2021, although you'll also find plenty of classical concerts in the city's most beautiful old churches as well as opera and ballet at Palais Garnier and rock, indie, jazz, pop, and "spectacles" at AccorHotels Arena, the Olympia, Palais des Congres, and other concert venues.
Don't miss candlelight concerts, New Year's Eve concerts, and the special Eiffel Tower concert on Christmas Day!
Check the lineup to find classical, rock, and Christmas concerts, opera, ballet, and other music shows happening throughout December, and get your tickets now:
Christmas & Christmas Eve Concerts in Paris
- Handel's Messiah with the Paris Choir - Sainte-Clotilde Basilica - December 11, 12
- Christmas Concert - Sainte Chapelle - December 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
- Christmas Concert - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - December 18, 23, 28
- Christmas Concert - Madeleine Church - December 22
- Christmas Concert - Saint Séverin Church - December 25
Looking for non-holiday music? Skip down to the regular December Concerts section
More Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Performances
- Nijinski, Eyal, & Ashton - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - December 24, 25
- Don Quixote: Paris Opera Ballet - Opéra Bastille - Dec 24, 25
- Concert at the Eiffel Tower - Dec 25
New Year's Eve Concerts in Paris
- New Year's Eve Concert - Saint Séverin Church - December 31
- New Year's Eve Concert - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - December 31
- Mozart Requiem - Saint Sulpice Church - December 31
More December Concerts, Operas, & Ballets
- Chopin by Candlelight - Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 1, 8, 25, 29
- La Traviata: Opera a Palazzo (with champagne and cocktails) - Hotel Dosne-Thiers - Dec 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 16, 17
- Paris Choral Society: A Capella Masterpieces - American Cathedral - December 2, 4
- Nijinski, Eyal, & Ashton - An evening of dance with music by Stravinsky (Rite of Spring), Debussy (Afternoon of a Faun), and Rachmaninov (Rhapsody) - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - December 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29, 31
- Mozart Requiem - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - Dec 4
- Bach by Candlelight: Goldberg Variations - Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 5, 30
- Alcina - Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House) - December 6, 8, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 26, 28, 30
- Candlelight Concert: Liszt, Satie, Beethoven - Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 6, 15, 22, 27
- Turandot - Opéra Bastille - Dec 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 30
- Don Quixote: Paris Opera Ballet - Opéra Bastille - Dec 9, 11, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 31
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons & Mozart's A Little Night Music - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - Dec 10
- Julien Clerc - Palais des Congres - Dec 10, 11, 12
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons - Madeleine Church - Dec 11
- Candlelight Concert: Chopin, Bach, Moussorgski, Rachmaninov - Saint Ephrem Church - Dec 11, 21, 26
- Classical Masterpieces for Violin - Saint-Germain-des-Prés Church - Dec 17
- Mozart's Requiem - Madeleine Church - December 30
Christmas at Disneyland Paris in December 2021
Enchanted Christmas celebrations start at Disneyland Paris in early November and continue into January with plenty of entertainment and holiday spirit for everyone.
You'll find a spectacular giant tree, entertaining shows, festive Christmas parades, and sparkling holiday decorations everywhere. Each year brings new holiday features, lights, and shows at both Disney Parks, an immersive nighttime extravaganza, and singing carols with Santa, Mickey, and Minnie for a magical experience you won't forget. You can even expect snowflakes to fall a few times each day!
When: November 13 - January 9
Disneyland Paris and Transportation
Take the RER A to the Marne-la-Valée station across a small plaza from Disneyland Paris, and buy your tickets at the gate - or check out these options to make your trip faster and easier:
More to Do in Paris in December
Hanukkah Celebrations & Menorah Lightings in Paris 2021
Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, begins at sundown on November 28 this year, and lasts for eight days until sundown on December 6.
All over the City of Light, giant menorahs in public spaces (as well as normal size menorahs in private homes) will be lit in honor of the occasion, starting with just one candle on the first night plus one additional candle on each following night until all are glowing.
This year, Paris begins its public menorah lighting ceremony for Hanukkah at the Eiffel Tower at 8pm, followed by a "Hassidique" concert. (to be confirmed)
Things to Do in Paris in December
Visiting Paris in December? Here's a mix of fun indoor and outdoor activities to enjoy this month:
- Paris Christmas Lights Bus Tour - See all the fantastic holiday lights around the city from the top of a double-decker sightseeing bus. Dress warmly, and get ready for a fun city tour where you'll see the best holiday light displays in the city. Book now
- Moulin Rouge Show with Dinner Options - Enjoy a delicious dinner (vegetarian and vegan options available), Champagne, and fantastic performance of the Féerie show at the legendary Moulin Rouge for a quintessential Paris night on the town! Book now
- Christmas Eve and Day Dinner Cruises - Enjoy a special 5-course dinner cooked on board, live music, and magical views of illuminated famous sights and landmarks along the Seine River as you cruise by in a comfy glass-covered boat. These holiday cruises always sell out - so book early to avoid disappointment! Book now
- Paris Illuminations Cruise & Crazy Horse Burlesque Show - Start your evening with a cruise down the Seine River at dusk to see most famous Paris sights and monuments illuminated with floodlights, and then head to the iconic Crazy Horse Caberet and enjoy a glass of Champagne as you watch the spectacular burlesque show. Book now
- Paris Wine & Cheese Lunch - Love wine and cheese? In this small group experience in a beautiful tasting wine bar in a 17th century "hotel particulier" (private mansion) near the Louvre, you'll try 5 wines from different French regions and savor them with perfectly paired French cheese and charcuterie as you learn about their unique flavors and origins. Book now
Paris Exhibits - Shows to See during December 2021
Dalí: The Endless Enigma and Gaudí, Architect of the Imagination
@ Atelier des Lumieres - Immersive digital show accompanied by original music explores the works of Dalí and Gaudí.
Cinema at Last!
Paris Museum and Attractions Passes
Handel's Messiah Sing-Along
Have you ever wanted to celebrate the holiday season by singing Handel's Messiah as part of a large group of enthusiastic singers?
You can do this on Sunday, December 12 at 3pm (to be confirmed) as the Paris Choral Society leads their annual Messiah Sing-Along of Part 1 and the famous Hallelujah Chorus at the American Cathedral (23 Avenue George V, 8th arr) - or, if you prefer, just listen. Don't know the words? No worries. You can rent or buy a copy of the score at the door.
See the Paris Choral Society website for details and ticket info.
Need to Book a Paris Hotel or Apartment for Your December Visit?
Planning a trip to Paris during the holiday season? Use this hotel map to find hotels and apartments near your favorite events and Paris attractions: