Every year, Paris's 5 biggest and most famous department stores - the grands magasins - dazzle children and adults alike with imaginative Christmas window displays with fantastical animated scenes featuring sparkling lights, festive holiday music, and of course lots of jolly Santas, gorgeously decorated Christmas trees, teddy bears and other toys, and beautifully wrapped gifts.
The stores - Galeries Lafayette, Printemps Haussmann, Bon Marché, BHV Marais, and La Samaritaine - typically reveal their spectacular windows starting in early November, just as the first holiday lights and other decorations begin to light up the city with seasonal cheer.
Check out the schedule for 2024:
- BHV Marais (52 Rue de Rivoli, Paris 4) - Look for a celebration of Christmas in a magical forest filled with beautiful flora and fauna. Starts November 8, 5pm
- La Samaritaine (19 Rue de la Monnaie, Paris 1) - Look for a palace of gourmet treats plus Willy Wonka-themed entertainment to celebrate the release of the new film - November 8 - January 9
- Printemps Haussmann (64 Boulevard Haussmann, Paris 9) - Christmas windows this year feature animated messenger birds of all shapes and colors that deliver holiday greetings from around the world. Starts November 9, 5:30pm
- Le Bon Marché Rive Gauche (24 Rue de Sèvres, Paris 7) - Giant fluffy bears wearing golden jackets will entertain you in this year's 4 special Christmas windows on Rue de Sèvre; also look for them inside the festively decorated Rive Gauche store - Starts November 10, 5pm
- Galeries Lafayette (40 Boulevard Haussmann, Paris 9) - In addition to the fabulous Christmas windows, don't miss the gigantic Christmas tree, with a glass walkway for closeup views and selfies - November 15 - December 31
If you're visiting Paris during the holiday season, spend a few moments soaking up the magic - it's part of the pleasure of being in Paris at Christmas.
For more inspiration, the rest of this article gives you glimpses of what you'll find at each store, plus other things to do and where to stay nearby.
Top photo: Christmas window at Galeries Lafayette Haussmann, (c) Paris Discovery Guide
Paris Discovery Guide is a reader-supported publication. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost for you. Learn more
Galeries Lafayette: Huge & Fabulous Holiday Windows
Galeries Lafayette's flagship store on Boulevard Haussmann, one of Paris's historic Grands Boulevards, boasts a large number of huge windows overlooking the famous street as well as around the corner on Rue de la Chaussée d'Antin.
You'll see elaborate automated figures enacting fantastical scenes and favorite Christmas legends in non-stop shows that mesmerize you as you watch.
Each year features a different theme. Look closely, and you will see fantasy versions of everyday creatures such as bees, flowers, childhood favorites such as candy canes and teddy bears, a favorite children's book such as "The Little Prince," or fairground theme such as "The Greatest Showman."
Luxury goods such as designer bags and gorgeous jewelry provide an extra layer of interest in some windows, while others focus almost solely on irresistible fashion favorites or kids toys - all offered for sale inside.
Be sure to stroll through the store to see the fabulous (and enormous!) Christmas tree suspended from Galeries Lafayette's famous 140+ foot Art Nouveau stained glass dome.
Crowds of shoppers become particularly dense around noon and again in late afternoon and evening, so plan your visit during the morning or mid-afternoon to get the best views.
For a more personalized experience, join this "Paris at Christmas" tour to see the famous window displays and Galeries Lafayette's famous Christmas tree and glass dome, plus holiday decorations in 19th century covered passages and French holiday food specialties.
Location: 40 Boulevard Haussmann, 9th arrondissement
Metros: Chaussée d’Antin, La Fayette
- Hotel Banke Opera - 4-minute walk from Galeries Lafayette; relax in the hamman after a day of shopping - More
- Hotel Saint Petersbourg Opera - 5-minute walk from Galeries Lafayette; great value for your money - More
More to enjoy nearby: Paris Opera House; Christmas lights along nearby Faubourg Saint-Honoré
Did you know ...
The most elaborate windows take teams of artists, artisans, and decorators up to a year to design and create.
Their efforts pay off as crowds of Parisians as well as visitors from other parts of France and countries around the world gather to view the enchanting holiday scenes, Christmas lights, and window decorations.
Printemps Haussmann: Christmas Gifts & Fantasy Worlds
Printemps Haussmann, also located on Boulevard Haussmann, creates unique and beautifully crafted Christmas windows that compete successfully with next door neighbor Galeries Lafayette's splendid displays.
At Printemps, you can see an appealing new theme unfold across the windows each year, with high-end designer merchandise skillfully woven in among the appealing scenes.
Look for lust-worthy bags from Fendi, exquisite perfume from Yves Rocher, and Burberrry trench coats and scarves.
Printemps-Haussmann excels at getting even the tiniest details of the miniature worlds displayed in their windows just right.
Take a look at the backgrounds - snowy villages, city architecture, beautifully decorated Christmas trees. It's a fantasy world - but step inside the store and you'll see the real thing!
Location: 64 Boulevard Haussmann, 9th arrondissement
Metro: Chaussée d’Antin, La Fayette
- Maison Albar Hotel Opera Diamond - Excellent hotel close to Galeries Lafayette and Saint Lazare station - More
- Best Western Plus Hotel Sydney Opera - Highly rated budget hotel close to Printemps-Haussmann - More
More to enjoy nearby: Christmas lights along Boulevard Haussmann
BHV Marais: Christmas Windows with a Forest Theme 2024
BHV Marais, located across Rue de Rivoli from the magnificent 19th century Hôtel de Ville (Paris City Hall) in the 4th arrondissement, has decorated its Christmas windows to reflect different countries or regions of the world during recent years.
This year, BHV's theme takes a different approach by creating spectacular windows focused on the forest and nature.
Woodland creatures including birds and animals frolic through the forests.
Make sure you check out the window showing tree roots and even an underground fox den - a reminder that there's more to nature than what we see on the surface.
Along with animated birds, holiday motifs, lovely seasonal music, and mulit-colored light shows dancing across the window displays, you'll also see some wonderful merchandise featuring natural materials tastefully tucked into the corners.
Inside the store, the woodland theme continues with sparkling trees and enchanted forests framing displays of lovely gifts and season merchandise.
Location: 52 rue de Rivoli, 4th arrondissement
Metro: Hôtel de Ville
- Hotel Victoria Chatelet - Charming boutique hotel with affordable rates - More
- Hotel des Deux Iles - Small elegant hotel in a 17th century building on nearby Ile Saint Louis - More
More to enjoy nearby: Christmas Market across Rue de Rivoli at Hotel de Ville; shopping at boutiques in the Marais; jazz (every shopper needs a reward) at the clubs along Rue des Lombards
Need to Book a Paris Hotel for Your Christmas Visit?
Planning a trip to Paris during the holiday season? Use this hotel map to find hotels near your favorite Christmas attractions:Booking.com
Bon Marché: Christmas Holiday Windows
As the oldest department store in Paris as well as the only one on the Left Bank, Bon Marché uses its expansive street-side windows along Rue de Sèvres in the ritzy 7th arrondissement to serve up Chrismas nostalgia for simplicity and elegance.
Look for jolly Santas, sparkling lights, piles of brightly wrapped gifts, and traditional Christmas carols wafting through the speakers to put you in the holiday mood.
You'll see some animations, but instead of intricate story lines or products displayed across the windows, Bon Marché's message is simple: Christmas is coming, traditions matter, and the holiday season promises warmth and good cheer.
Location: 24 Rue de Sèvres, 6th arrondissement
Nearest Métro: Sèvres Babylone
- Hôtel Lutecia - Grand 5-star hotel around the corner from Bon Marché; relax in the pool or at the Jazz Bar after a day of shopping - More
- Hotel Le Petit Chomel - Lovely and affordable boutique hotel within a 1-minute walk from the store - More
More to enjoy nearby: Luxembourg Garden - beautiful even in the winter!
La Samaritaine: Christmas Holiday Windows
Look for our photos of their 2024 windows soon!
Map & Addresses for Paris Department Stores with Christmas Window Displays
- Galeries Lafayette: 40 Boulevard Haussmann, 9th arrondissement, 75009
- Au Printemps: 64 Boulevard Haussmann, 9th arrondissement, 75009
- BHV: 52 rue de Rivoli, 4th arrondissement, 75004
- Bon Marché: 24 Rue de Sèvres, 6th arrondissement, 75006
- La Samaritaine: 19 Rue de la Monnaie, 1st arrondissement, 75001
Map Showing Paris Grands Magasins - Big Department Stores
Other Store Windows with Christmas Decorations
Virtually every store window features holiday decorations from simple to elaborate designed to lure in shoppers.
Best neighborhoods and areas for walking around and window-gazing: Saint Germain (Paris 6), Le Marais (Paris 4), Champs Elysées/Avenue Montaigne (Paris 8), Boulevard Haussmann/Avenue de l'Opera/Rue Saint-Honoré/Rue de la Paix (Paris 9/2/1), and Rue Saint-Louis en l'Île (Île Saint-Louis, Paris 4).
Paris Christmas Tours & Cruises
To see famous Paris lighted attractions, sparkling Christmas lights, and even the Eiffel Tower light show, take one of these popular Paris Illuminations tours and cruises:
- Paris Christmas Lights Tour - For a spectacular tour of Paris Christmas lights, bundle up and hop on this open-top double-decker bus as it takes you on a Christmas-themed tour to see the city's most brilliantly lighted streets and attractions - Find out more
- Seine River Dinner Cruise and Moulin Rouge Show with Champagne - Enjoy dazzling views of Paris from the Eiffel Tower, and then cruise along the Seine past lighted attractions. Dine either at the tower or on a dinner cruise (you choose), and cap your spectacular evening by watching a performance at the famous Moulin Rouge while you sip Champagne - Find out more
- Christmas Eve and Day Dinner Cruises - Enjoy a special 5-course dinner cooked on board, live music, and magical views of illuminated famous sights and landmarks along the Seine River as you cruise by in a comfy glass-covered boat. These holiday cruises always sell out - so book early to avoid disappointment! Book now