Paris events during January ring in the New Year with celebrations and good cheer.
Although days are still short and the weather can be damp and chilly, you'll find plenty of warmth inside cozy Paris bistros, jazz clubs, museums, and concert halls, making January the perfect month to explore the "real" Paris without lines of tourists everywhere.
January sales bring a lot of excitement almost as soon as the New Year's celebrations end, with almost everything in the city being offered at a discount: designer fashions, decorative items, jewelry.
If you don't want to brave the weather, you'll find plenty of tours and cruises to keep you dry while still showing you top Paris attractions.
The famous Paris winter sales run from January 10 - February 20. Look for Soldes signs in store windows all over the city, often followed by the amount of the reduction - typically 30-40% at the beginning, and as high as 70-80% at toward the end.
Best places to find bargains? Everywhere! Luxury labels such as Chanel, Valentino, and Armani draw huge crowds - ditto for Galeries Lafayette, BHV, Bon Marché, and Au Printemps - but don't ignore smaller boutiques and even global mid-market chains.
As usual, coveted Hermès bags, shoes, clothing, and other goodies go on sale for only 3 days - January 10, 11, and 12, at Palais de Congrès near Porte Maillot.
Paris Tours for Fashionistas
- Vivaldi's Four Seasons - La Madeleine Church - Jan 1, 2, 4, 6, 13, 19, 26 - Tickets
- Satie, Liszt, and Beethovan: Piano at Saint Ephrem at Saint-Ephrem Church - Jan 1, 14, 20, 28 - Tickets
- Don Quixote: Ballet de l'Opéra National de Paris at Opéra Bastille - Jan 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - Tickets
- Chopin with Candlelight at Saint Ephrem Church - Jan 5, 12, 26 - Tickets
- Alt-J @ AccorHotels Arena - Jan 11 - Tickets
- Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera ("Masked Ball") - Paris National Opera at Opéra Bastille - Jan 24, 27 - Tickets
- Allaoua @ Zénith de Paris - Jan 20 - Tickets
- Arch Enemy @ Le Bataclan - Jan 23 - Tickets
- Barber of Seville - Paris National Opera at Opéra Bastille - Jan 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31 - Tickets
- Paramore @ l'Olympia - Jan 27 - Tickets
Paris Exhibits - Shows to See during January
Pop Art - Icons that Matter
@ Musée Maillol, September 22 - January 21, 2018 - Over 200 pieces of art by Gauguin immerse you in the artist's creative process in this show focusing on how he pushed the limits of his time. Open Sunday, Monday, Thursday 10am-8pm; Wednesday, Friday Saturday 10am-10pm; Tickets 15€.
Location: Grand Palais, Avenue Winston-Churchill, 8e. Nearest Metro: Champs-Élysées-Clemenceau
More info: www.museemaillol.com
The Art of Pastel from Degas to Redon
@ Petit Palais, through April 8, 2018 - More than 60 works by Pop Art artists such as Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Jim Dine, Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg from the Whitney Museum in NYC will be shown for the first time in Paris. Admission (ncludes the show) 13€.
Location: 61, rue de Grenelle, 7e. Nearest Metro: Rue du Bac
More info: www.petitpalais.paris.fr
@ Musée Marmottan Monet (Rue Saint-Martin, 4e), September 14 through January 14, 2018 - On display for the first time will be works from Monet's own private collection by Cezanne, Morisot, Rodin, Renoir, Delacrois, and other important artists. Open Wednesday - Monday; 10am-6pm and until 9pm on Thursdays. General admission 11€; includes this exhibit
Location: 2 rue Louis Boilly, 16e. Nearest Metro: La Muette.
More info: www.marmottan.fr